Why Being A Beauty Blogger/Youtuber That Is Based In Egypt A Struggle!

by - Friday, September 04, 2015



If you're a beauty blogger based in either the US or the UK then your life is a hundred times easier than mine, and in today's post, I'm telling you why..

I CAN'T GET NEW RELEASES
Do you know how hard it is to get my hands on a new beauty product that's just landed in the US or UK? It may take years to arrive here and sometimes it doesn't even get here.

THE PRICE IS USUALLY WORTH A LAUGH

If a product is imported from the US or UK (many years after it's release) to Egypt, the price is usually either ridiculous or ten times more than what it is in the US or UK which is also ridiculous..
Here's a screenshot of the Sephora online shop in Egypt. Please have a look at the prices and try to compare them to what you have to pay..
  Also, may you explain to me why would I pay 220 Egyptian pounds to get a tiny pot of liquid liner? OR why would I pay that much for a lip gloss? (please bear in mind that these prices are after the DISCOUNT!!
) hmm.. Ridiculous isn't it?

BUILDING A MAKEUP COLLECTION

I bet that most of you reading this have seen at least one of the "Makeup Collection" videos on youtube. Where the youtuber has a beauty ROOM. It'd cost me my family house + Car to build a similar collection in Egypt. 

THERE AREN'T ANY COOL EGYPTIAN BRANDS

You have a ton of beauty and makeup brands where you live (especially if you live in the US or the UK) but I don't. I only have a handful and they're either pricey as hell or have cringeworthy quality and even if I mention Egyptian brands it gets irrelevant because my viewers and readers are mainly from the UK or US

MENTIONING UNKNOWN BRANDS 
I only buy affordable (unknown) makeup that works just as good. We have nice makeup products as well that are cheap and affordable but the youtube and blogging world doesn't know what I'm talking about when I mention or use any of these products. If I don't use max factor, maybelline, chanel etc.. Nobody would be interested in watching my videos or reading my blog. 

WORKING WITH BRANDS 

If I had a brand, I'd much rather work with someone who is based in the same place as my brand. For example, no brand would like to send me products all the way from the UK or US when they have bloggers and youtubers there. Common sense..

BLOGGING EVENTS

All the cool blogging events and meet-ups happen mainly in the UK. I got invited before to a bloggers' party in London and I was like, Yeah, I better go grab my bag and take a stroll to London *sigh*. I really like working in groups and meeting people who share the same passion but there're (little to) no dedicated beauty bloggers or youtubers in Egypt and I can't meet people who live a continent away from me, so...


But at the end of the day, a passion is a passion regardless of where you live. That's why I'll keep blogging and filming videos anyway xo


Art above is by Mayar

You May Also Like

0 comments

.

.