Where to go in Cairo ~ Places to visit in El Zamalek, Egypt | Reem

by - July 13, 2022

Where to go in Cairo ~ Places to visit in El Zamalek, Egypt | Reem

Ever wondered why I like to go to Zamalek so much?
 Apart from the fact that I spent 90% of my childhood there, it is my favourite place to go now even as a 23-year-old. This is because it's a melting pot of almost every place you'd possibly want to go to. From fancy restaurants to chill cafés and fast food shops, Zamalek has it all.


This Eid was largely spent in Zamalek with my sister. On the first day, I wore my new Eid dress (serving Eid fits, am I right?) and headed to Starbucks at White Tivoli, an enclosed area filled with restaurants and cafes. I like to spend some time in Starbucks because there's generally no rush, except when it's Eid and everyone is there and you're queuing to get your order. I generally don't recommend going out in Eid because everyone else is also going out and the chance of you not finding a place to sit is at an all time high, especially if it's the first day. I didn't mind not finding a place to sit for a while, I later did and I sat down with a slice of carrot cake, my favourite Starbucks dessert. My sister got honey cake, which I made sure to nibble on in exchange for some carrot cake (that's what sisters are for...no?).


I usually don't get a drink, which is weird, I know, but I'd rather get a dessert than a drink in general. After a while, we strutted down the streets of Zamalek to find a beautiful artwork that was recently painted over a wall facing the gas station on our way to one of the best ice-cream shops in Zamalek, Mandarine Koueider. What's not to love about this place? It offers a variety of amazing flavours, from classic chocolate to hibiscus ice cream to give you that oriental experience. My favourite is berry-yogurt ice cream, which I get almost every time! This place not only sells ice cream, but it also has a variety of delicious oriental desserts, the likes of basbousa and konafa. Maybe they should add some tables to offer a well-rounded experience.


Leaving this with my ice cream, I found a beautiful stray cat relaxing over a car outside. Needless to say, I stopped to contribute to its 10th relaxing session of the day by petting it. Not all cats allow you to pet them but this cat was surprisingly receptive!


We then walked to El Zamalek Shopping Center, which has some shops the girlie girl in me just loves. The shops offer some makeup, skincare, and hair accessories. You can also find some amazing gifts there at a good price! But be careful because you might end up buying random things that you don't actually need (I just bought a head messager thingie..?).


That day was too busy, so we couldn't find any cars to go home. We went back to Starbucks and chilled there as we waited for our captain to pick us up.

Third Eid day

This was how I spent the first day of Eid. Now, I tell you about what I did on the third day. You might be wondering where the second day went. Good question. It was a family gathering at home. The next day, I had some breakfast and packed my backpack to head to Zamalek. See, I automatically think of Zamalek when I want to have some chill time without really planning ahead. It's just because it's nearby and has almost everything you might need. I packed my laptop and woke my sister up to spend the day there. Yes, she's my Eid buddy at the moment. Because she likes Starbucks the same way as I do, we decided to stay there as I finished some work I needed to do but with a different scenery than my desk at home.


I realise that I just mentioned Starbucks above, but this time we went to a different one. The stand-alone one, not the White Tivoli branch. Yes, there are two. The one we visited had a darker, more chill vibe. It gets you in the mood to work better. It's bigger so it was less crowded. I ended up spending the afternoon there finishing some urgent work.



We walked around the block to find "Metro" supermarket. It was nice to stop by and pick up any groceries we might need. I ended up just picking some bread and a random squeeze-bottle BBQ sauce. I do have a little obsession with BBQ sauce, to be honest. We also picked up some dark chocolate for our mum too.


It was getting dark and I was walking around with my backpack the whole time, so we decided to stop by Pizza Hut, which is close to Starbucks too. My favourite food at the moment is pizza, so I stopped to get one, but the place was full (Eid effect). I winded up ordering take-out pizza instead of having it there. Not the best ever, but it does the job haha...


That was a more subdued Eid day, but it was exactly what I needed after a family gathering the day before.


Have you ever been to Zamalek? There's so much more you can do! For instance, there's a cinema close to White Tivoli called Zamalek cinema. We walked past it, but it was too late to watch a whole film that night. Maybe next time.

Do you want to know more about what you can do in Cairo? Stay updated by following this blog's Instagram here.

Click here to have a Virtual Tour in Cairo (a casual day in my life as a Cairo girl).

That's all for today.

Have a good one!




Related Posts

1 comments

  1. Alkeme Beauty provides the Best Makeup Services in Nashville that enhance the beauty and physical attributes of a person and change their appearance. They guarantee a long lasting finish without any risk.

    Makeup Services Nashville

    ReplyDelete

.