How I Grow my Nails: Natural Nail Care, Not Your Typical Advice!

by - September 22, 2024


Is it just me, or does wearing fake nails make you feel so... uneasy? I always worry they'll fall off or, worse, ruin my natural nails. It seems a lot easier to just grow my natural nails.

It's been a long process of finding what works and what doesn't. See, my nails do grow, but they usually break off for some reason. Increasing my protein intake has been a great help in making my nails a bit stronger, but with my current overly busy lifestyle, I haven't been very consistent. I have, however, managed to work around this issue and grow my nails despite these "challenges."

Firstly, I'm trying to increase my calcium and protein intake and supplement with vitamin D, but that's beside the point because each person's body is different and should consult with a healthcare professional before supplementing to see if this even is a problem to be addressed.

Next, I've just been moisturizing my nails a lot more. That's really just it. What's been helping me grow my nails faster is making sure my cuticles are well-moisturized at all times. Since my teens, I've developed the habit of moisturizing my hands each time I wash them. I've tried numerous moisturizers but found that the moisturizer itself isn't as important as focusing on the skin around the nails and really going in with the moisturizer—making sure it hits each crevice. This allows the nails to slip easily and grow smoothly. It also ensures that the skin around the nail is intact, with no wounds or extra growths slowing down the nail growth process.


After trying multiple moisturizers, I've settled on this pomade by Balea. I find it especially helpful because of its thick formula, which helps it last a lot longer than a classic cream. It also contains Calendula officinalis flower extract, known for its powerful wound-healing properties (happy pharmacist moment). The pomade is rich in natural herbal extracts, and I've previously reviewed it in-depth here.


A similar concept applies to nail growth serums/oils. I use these oils sometimes but haven't found them helpful [essence Nail Repair Oil, alverde Natural Cosmetics Nail hardening treatment, and alverde Natural Cosmetics Nail oil with apricot kernel oil & sea buckthorn extract]. If anything, I suspect that they cause my already weak nails to break if I apply the oil to the nail itself. I think it's best to keep the oil around the cuticle and massage it into the skin. However, despite having high hopes for them, these oils haven't really been as helpful as a simple moisturizer.

Lastly, I've brought back the classic nail buffer. I never thought trimming or buffing your nails could help them grow, but it actually works. What happens is that when a nail grows over a certain limit, it is more prone to breakage. So regular filing/clipping is helpful (mom's advice). Buffing can also help if your nails break easily. Mine usually start splitting before they break; I saw an IG reel that alluded to buffing down any splits before they cause the nail to break fully. Doesn't this concept remind you of regular hair trimming to prevent split ends from causing breakage? After all, hair and nails are very similar.

[no filter]

Anyway, that's really all there is! Tell me how you grow and maintain your nails in a comment below or by tagging this blog's Instagram.

More posts





You May Also Like

0 comments

.