How I Treated My Stubborn Acne ~ Affordable over the counter detailed skincare routine & advice | Reem

by - August 29, 2021


How I Treated My Stubborn Acne ~ Affordable over the counter detailed skincare routine & advice


For most of my teenage years, I had acne. Thankfully, it wasn't severe. But it was consistent, stubborn and always showed up in the same places. I tried many over-the-counter treatments and they would only work for some time but shortly after, I would stop the treatment and everything would go back to where it was before or even worse. I usually would get red pimples on my cheeks and, rarely, on my chin.


 However, when I hit the age of around twenty, I started getting those bumps (closed comedones) on my forehead too! That was when I started taking my acne seriously. I remember studying acne in pharmacy school at that time, and there was that one line in the textbook that changed everything for me. It said that for treatment to start showing results, the patient should keep using the treatment consistently for at least 6 months! Before reading that line, I kept thinking, "I tried everything and it never worked." But now that I know, I'll give acne treatment more time before I start judging it. 

I figured that there are three main factors that contribute to acne formation: facial oils (sebum) build-up, keratin plugs (dead skin cells build-up) and bacteria. I even made a detailed video explaining this which you can watch here. So, to treat acne, I'll need to tackle these three causes at once. It didn't take long before I bought what I call "the great trilogy," topical antibiotic, cleanser and topical retinoid, from a local pharmacy and started the treatment.




1- Cleansing & moisturising:

I bought a cleansing soap bar, mainly because I don't like cleansers (even though they are better for your skin). The soap is made for acne treatment and the ingredients list is simple and includes natural antimicrobials. Moreover, the soap bar is affordable, so I knew I would be able to keep repurchasing it.



I started washing my face twice a day; when I woke up and before I went to bed. This is to prevent any dirt or oil build-up. Mind you, I was already doing this, but I wasn't using an acne-targeting cleanser. I then started drying my face with tissue paper instead of towels for some extra hygiene. Afterward, my face usually feels dry. So, I sometimes use a light moisturiser only on areas where I need extra moisture. This usually includes around my eyes, mouth and sometimes cheeks. I don't like to use just one type of moisturiser, but I usually stay away from the oil-based type because they can form plugs and cause acne.




2- Anti-bacterial:

After I finish cleansing, I use a topical antibiotic specifically on acne-affected areas. That would usually include, pretty much, my entire forehead and cheeks.



3- Exfoliation:

Since keratin/ dead skin cells build up and block the skin follicles, I like to keep exfoliation a steady part of my skincare routine. However, I have to be careful with how I exfoliate and how frequently I do it. Because over-exfoliation and harsh tools can damage the skin and, in turn, cause more inflammation and worsen acne. I usually stay away from exfoliation if my skin is visibly red. But when it's less inflamed, I go in with a warm, wet towel and slowly and lightly remove dead skin cells in a circular motion. I do it at least once a week. But I noticed that my forehead bumps needed more in-depth exfoliation. So, I started using a topical retinoid, specifically on my forehead. 


In pharmacy school, I learned that topical retinoids prevent the formation of comedones by accelerating the process of skin shedding and the formation of new cells. I find that it works just fine for my forehead acne in particular. I usually use it twice a week (at least a day apart). I choose days that I know I won't be going out in the sun; because retinoids increase the skin's sensitivity to the sun. Another reason to keep wearing sunscreen.


Other tips

Speaking of sunscreen, sunscreen-induced breakouts are real! I'd go to the beach for a couple of days and use sunscreen religiously, then soon after my acne would start showing up again! I figured it's probably the formula that's causing the problem. So, I now opt for a gel-based sunscreen most of the time and so far so good. I also make sure to thoroughly clean my face when I get back home and make sure there isn't any sunscreen left.




When choosing a moisturiser, I go for a similar formula. Lighter creams and gel-based formulas usually don't worsen acne or cause breakouts.


Makeup

Not going to lie, I stopped using foundation altogether. I have yet to find one that doesn't cause skin problems or aggravate them. It's a shame but it also helped me take care of my skin even more; because I know I don't have the safety net of makeup to cover it. At first, when my acne was at its peak, it was really hard going out with visible acne. But it was even harder to purposely irritate my skin with paint and brushes and undo months of rigorous acne treatment, just to hide something completely normal and happens to almost everyone.


Maintenance stage

I have long passed the 6 months mark and this was the skincare routine that helped me get my acne under control. Now that my skin is a lot better, I am not using the antibiotic nor the retinoid as regularly. However, I usually keep an anti-acne cleanser/ soap bar in my routine. I still stick to lighter formulas and I always go easy on the face makeup. I sometimes use blush but I try as much as I can to stay away from foundation. On a rare occasion, if I'm going for face makeup that day, I always make sure that I'm using clean tools only. I regularly change my pillowcases and I have developed the habit of not touching my face.


In the end...

My acne was not the severe type, so I didn't have to take any medicine and only opted for the topical route. I spoke to a dermatologist about my routine so I am not completely self-medicating. I decided to share my acne success story to let you know that there's always a way to get acne under control, but it needs a lot of patience and strength. I know it's hard to go out in public with visibly inflamed skin, but as long as you're treating it, I promise it will get better with time. Just know that it's more than okay to have acne, almost everyone has dealt with a skin problem at least once in their lifetime. You're perfectly normal and this is not going to be your skin forever. I still get pimples every now and then. But sticking to a routine that works, keeps these incidences few and far between.

Do you have a routine that works for you? Let me know in the comments below.
Click here to follow this blog on Instagram and stay up-to-date with the latest posts.
Check out my other posts:

My self-care routine here

Deodorant vs. Antiperspirant here






Related Posts

0 comments

.